Monday, July 22, 2013

Flourless(and fructose free) Chocolate Mud Cake with Fudgey Icing

I have been doing alot of baking recently. I think the cold weather makes me want to have the oven on all day just to keep warm, so I end up baking, which I am not complaining about! I made this cake to take to my mums house one night. She can't eat gluten or fructose, so I came up with this chocolate mud cake. It was delicious, I will be making this for everyone, not just gluten and fructose free peeps. I was very happy that it worked, despite not having flour, and it was lovely and sweet, just by using rice malt syrup. My sister in law came round and had two slices, so it must have been a hit! Try this, even if you love (and can eat) gluten and fructose, as it really is yummy!

 
 
 

You will need:
CAKE
75 gm coconut oil or butter, melted
250 ml rice malt syrup
200 ml strong black coffee
2 eggs
40 gm cocoa powder
200 gm almond meal
1 tsp bicarb soda
ICING
50 gm butter or coconut oil
50 gm rice malt syrup or to taste
heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
pinch of salt
 
Preheat oven to 180C and grease/line a cake tin. Melt the butter/coconut oil and mix well with all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into the yin and bake for 45 min or until a skewer comes out clean.
While your cake is baking, make your fudgey icing. 
Melt the coconut oil/butter over a gentle heat with the rice malt syrup. Add the cocoa powder and salt, and stir until smooth and glossy. Taste it and add more suagr/cocoa/salt until you are happy. Set this aside to let it thicken. You can put it in the fridge, but watch it doesn't harden to much that its not spreadable.
After appro 45 min of cake baking, remove fro oven. Your cake may sink a little but don't panic! Let cool on a wire rack. Once cool, spread the icing over it!
 
 
 
 
Im starting to really enjoy baking with nut meals and rice malt syrup. The taste is pretty much eactly the same as normal, but not a sickly sweet, which is a good thing! I'm all for changing my baking to make it better for me!
 
 
 
 
If you make this, let me know! If you have any gluten/fructose free recipes to share, please do!
 
Thanks for reading, and see you soon. Ive been doing a little makeover in my bedroom and making things for my etsy shop!! Will show you soon!
 
Taz

P.S Thanks to my mum and sister for their pretty cupcake plates and flowers for my photos!


8 comments:

  1. Wow, looks so moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I've been sugar free for about 3 weeks now and chocolate cake has been my one craving....I think I'll give this a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anything i could use in place of the coffee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, yes absolutely. I have since made it, and prefer it, using milk in the place of coffee. Any kind of milk will do. I hope you enjoy it if you make it!

      Delete
  4. This recipe sounds delicious!
    How long will it keep for? I wanted to make it a couple of days ahead for my son's birthday or is it best eaten straight away? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake is delicious, I substituted the coffee for milk as suggested. I ate it 2 days after it was made and it did get a little wetter but still very yummy. Will be making again to convince everyone that you don't need a tonne of sugar for a cake to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Taz for the chocolate glaze recipe it was just what I needed! I made some sweet potato brownies in my Thermomix - the recipe required double the cooking and the top was kind of cracked/dry by the time the middle was cooked (still very moist inside). I try to avoid fructose (sugar) as much as possible. Love finding recipes with RMS. Cheers (and welcome to Aus)! Sue T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this cake. Thank you! I have made it a couple of times and I consider it my fancy cake for dinner parties (served with berries and whipped cream). It has become one of the few recipes that I have actually printed off to keep in my recipe file. ... I love the coffee flavour - adds an extra zing for dinner parties.

    ReplyDelete